Tuesday 2 March 2010

Super Tuesday Bicycle Count



This morning from 7 - 9 am I joined in Bicycle Victoria's annual bicycle count in my "Orange Army" t-shirt. Unfortunately (for me) my site was a very quiet one for bikes with only NINE, but not for trucks and cars ... so maybe that is why bikes avoid that route? I got plenty of odd looks from motorists and passengers but hopefully some had heard of the count as it has been well publicised, especially on radio. Look out for it on the TV News tonight. My bit of volunteering earnt $50 for my favourite bicycle group - Victorian Orienteering Association (Mountain Bike). The statistics collected enable local government to plan better facilities for cyclists.

It was also interesting watching the drivers change 'uniform' as the day progressed, from predominantly fluoro yellow and orange tops, plus navy and khaki work shirts, at first, to business shirts and office attire after 7:40 and then a mix of casual and office wear with the addition of occasional child passengers after 8:40.

No comments: