Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Quilt Show Purchases

Hot off the sewing machine ... purchased Friday and sewn by Sunday evening!

A kooky Aunty Cookie panel made into a cushion:

And a little pack of fabrics from the Kelani stand made into two cushions:

Plus three fabrics stretched over canvases to make wall artworks:

Sunday, 18 July 2010

New Quilt - "French General"

This week I cut out a new quilt using my fat quarter pack of French General prints which are just gorgeous. Originally I was going to make a broken bricks pattern but then changed my mind to cobblestones when  I saw a similar pattern on the cover of the latest edition of Down Under Quilts magazine, using the same range of fabrics. Here is a sneak preview:

Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Charm Square Quilt Progressing

I have finished putting the charms squares together now but I didn't like the look of the white and floral borders ... so it will be now a smaller quilt with no borders, more in the style of the modern quilts many of my favourite bloggers are sewing. The Kaffe Fassett "targets" print, which I love, will now be used as backing, together with some plain white, and I got a nice spot  from GJ's Fabrics for binding.

Sunday, 11 July 2010

Orienteering State Series event

Today the foot bush orienteering State Series event was held on the "Jim Crow" map down Basalt Rd outside Daylesford, Victoria.

We left Melbourne before 8 am in bright sunshine and little breeze and an hour later in the Daylesford area we were in a pea soup fog and only 6 degrees C.

As our club, Bayside Kangaroos, was hosting the event we were all rostered to help and it was cold work for those putting out controls, setting up, parking and doing registration and starts!

The fog started lifting around 11 am though we didn't see sunshine until heading back to Melbourne on the freeway.

Mine was good course and I placed third and only went off track once when I took the wrong spur near control #7.  The terrain had some good hills and it was slow going with lots of debris underfoot as well as slippery from rain, damp and moss.

Sunday, 4 July 2010

Christmas Ornament

I finished another UFO during the week ... only a small one, but very satisfying. I saw the idea somewhere, either in a magazine or at a show - Christmas themed strips of fabric tied around a plain "twiggy" Christmas wreath. As our poor door wreath has seen better days it was just right for us. I had pulled out any appropriate scraps some time ago and found the wreath at a "Riot Art" shop. It was just a matter of setting up the cutting board, ruler and cutter and getting to it! About an hour later it was completed.

Here it is hanging on our side gate where the light was better.