Friday 15 April 2011

AQC - Part 1

L an M joined me at AQC today and what an interesting day we had. The Royal Exhibition Building is so grand and a lovely venue for this "quilting only" show.



Autumn is a perfect time of year for the show here, as the building does not have heating or cooling.

The stalls were busy and it was hard to get to the "front" to have a look! We very much enjoyed a free talk on "colour" by Reece Scannell whose fabrics we admire. I used some on my Kaffe Fassett charm squares quilt, in the half square triangles (mixing designers I know!). The information was very useful. I attended a "Make and Take Class" on English paper piecing by Blue Willow Cottage of Werribee and found it useful. A star half done. A future hand project perhaps?



I enjoyed the quilt displays and they were well lit this year with spots in some areas. A favourite quilter of mine, Ruth de Vos, was a featured quilter.


I also got some great information from a free talk by Barrie of Wonderfil Threads and a sample of rayon thread to try in my machine overnight as I was coming back the next day. I had never succeeded in stitching with rayon as I my machine has a horizontal thread spool holder, and I had tried various modifications to get it to run but alas no luck. It ran like a dream with her suggested set up! Now I can finally machine quilt my very large "Lime and Soda" drunkards path block quilt. Thanks also to the display quilts at Tulis Textiles for quilting ideas.

No comments: