Tuesday 17 April 2012

Australian Quilt Convention

I visited the AQC on the last day, Sunday, and it was nice to see all the quilts on display as well as browse the shops to see what might be new, though reading in blog land leaves less to be discovered this way. I like to see the Best of the Best and Challenge quilts where many quilters interpreted the same theme so differently. The Beneath the Southern Sky exhibition was very interesting with many techniques showcased. I especially liked this NZ one which reminded me of the Reg Mombasa style.




The selection of Japanese Cotton Poem quilts also had a number of variations on the log cabin block used in their construction:

 Diamonds:

 Squares:


 Rectangles around a diamond:



I did a Make and Take class with Lisa Walton where we carved a simple design on an Ezy Carve stamp and printed or rubbed onto a fat quarter of hand dyed fabric, using metallic paint, shiva sticks and oil crayons. it was quick and effective. I am going to embellish mine with stitching and make into a cushion I think.








No comments: